Mags is a Professional Genealogist specializing in Genetic Genealogy as founder of Grandma’s Genes in Ottawa. Growing up in a family full of family historians, Mags was primed to become a Genealogist.
After earning her Bachelors Degree from Columbia College, she began to work her own Genealogy as a “hobby”. This 30-year “hobby” eventually led her to a Leader role with WikiTree, where she currently leads: The DNA Innovators Project, The United Empire Loyalist Project and the British Home Children Project. She also leads the Templeton and McElmoyle Name Studies and the McElmoyle DNA Project. Work with WikiTree led to Mags starting Grandma’s Genes in 2016.
Mags is an international Genetic Genealogy Lecturer, Blogger and a Social Media Maven. She serves as Admin for Facebook groups including the ISOGG Facebook Group. She is a former member of the Canadian Casualty Identification Team.
In her own words…
‘They have been at a great feast of languages and stolen the scraps.’ – William Shakespeare. My favorite quote, ever. If I were a color I would be cobalt blue. In tense situations I try to diffuse the tenseness with humor (sometimes this approach works, sometimes not). When it rains I feel calm and restive. When it snows I am an ecstatic child expecting a snow day (living in Canada I am ecstatic often). I am happiest when I am doing something, anything, outdoors. People in my family have had names like Goolie and Nimrod (the last one handed down for generations). I thrive when I am helpful to others. I thrive when I am problem solving. Carolinian at my core, and I am deeply rooted in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains where I grew-up. If you cut me I would bleed the sound of bluegrass music.”
Memberships and projects…
- Association of Professional Genealogists
- International Society of Genetic Genealogy
- Ontario Chapter of the Association of Professional Genealogists
- The Ontario Genealogical Society
- Ottawa Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society
- BIFHSGO – The British Isles Family history Society of Greater Ottawa
- The South Carolina Genealogical Society
- NETS Study, The Royal Ottawa and The University of Ottawa, Genetic Genealogist
- McElmoyle DNA Project, Administrator
- Leader Dunnahoo Name Study
- Leader McElmoyle Name Study
- Leader Templeton Name Study
- Leader of the WikiTree DNA Innovators Project
- Leader of the WikiTree British Home Children Project
- Leader of the WikiTree Ontario Project
- Leader of the WikiTree United Empire Loyalist Project